Saturday, March 8, 2008

Hillary Clinton is America's New Vision

I am a fervent supporter of Hillary Clinton's in this epic race for the White House. Her vision for America has been smeared by the media and the ever present sound bites of our present day "news and entertainment" culture. While Barack Obama may be new and shiny, his vision is a bit hazy to me. I understand what he stands for- equality, hope and (the ever present) CHANGE, but what I don't understand is what does that look like in terms of policy. When Obama goes to Israel and attempts to hold peace talks with leaders there, how will they take hope, equality and change, and translate them into a feasible and well-thought out solution? Does change somehow find OsamaBinLaden? Does hoping for it, make the economy and the effects of home foreclosures miraculously better? Not that I know of. The one position I understand of his is his healthcare- and ironically it makes no sense to me. How are you helping the healthcare crisis faced by millions of uninsured people, by only extending benefits and assistance to children? Is that not directly setting them up for failure? How are these newly insured children going to be cared for by parents who can't care for themselves or get insurance coverage?
Hillary makes sense to me- she has plans. Her healthcare plan includes everyone that this system has forgotten about. Her negotiation skills in terms of reaching across the aisle and making nonpartisan changes for this country are well known around the Capitol. But politics aside- as a person, one I've met and have been inspired by, Hillary Clinton's intelligence is astonishing. She never has notes; she can think on her feet, make sense, and stay on message, without any outside assistance; she's courteous and caring; and she's the most competent woman, and if voting for incompetence has taught us anything over these last 8 years- it's that we can't afford to make any more mistakes.
I don't know about everyone else out there voting, and I don't pretend to, but I want the best person for the job in the White House as soon as possible. And as Sen. Debbie Stabenow said to me just last month- there are two amazing candidates for us to choose from, but it all comes down to what you know in your gut, and that's that Hillary Clinton- love her or hate her- is the best person for the job no matter what rhetoric she's up against.

No comments: