Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hillary Clinton's Vision for America

I disagree somewhat with Jessica's perspective of Hillary Clinton. I do believe she is unfairly treated by the media and improperly demonized by many Americans. However, I don't find her vision for American any more defined or realistic than Barack Obama's. I do not see Hillary's policies as better or more thought out. All policies I have seen discussed on the campaign by any candidate are vague and generalized. I have heard so many arguments for and against both sides by pundits and candidates alike. I don't think we can truly assign a label of soundness to any one candidate's policy proposals at this point. In any case, the actual policy outcomes will look nothing like what is being promised by the campaigns. To me, it is more about being able to bring about that policy change in general once is office. I believe either Hillary or Barack would be capable to doing so. Hillary has more experience, but I believe it takes more than experience. I have found myself increasing placing importance on more symbolic aspects of politics, what the candidates represent. Hillary Clinton represents the establishment. Unfortunately, she is highly divisive in American politics. When she speaks, too often do I see those traits come out. Barack Obama represents change and hope. Those are vague concepts that do not necessarily translate into effective politics, but they are important nonetheless. He is an amazing speaker that has proven his ability to appeal to people on all sides of the political spectrum. In the end, I see both as having sound policies and a clear vision for America, but the difference comes down to the symbolic. I feel Barack Obama represents the change that America so desperately needs in a way that Hillary Clinton does not. I know that many of you may not agree with me and I would be interested to know what you find to be the most important aspect of either candidate's vision for the country.

No comments: