Saturday, March 1, 2008

Hillary's Vision for America

I had the rare opportunity to see Hillary Clinton speak on Monday. She was visiting GW to talk about foreign policy, and I attended her speech in the afternoon. While some people called her speech dull, I thought it was a glimpse of Hillary I had not seen as yet. None of the mudslinging so common in her campaign was present. Instead, Hillary focused on her vision for America. In her presidency, she fights for women's rights, punishes countries who harbor terrorists, mandates health care for all, and focuses on improving the lives of Americans as the tool to increased awareness of the US' international reputation and role.

At times, I found myself clapping to Hillary's words, caught up in the fervor of the audience. I am still, however, a supporter of Barack Obama. Which brings me to what is the most vital subject in the democratic debate - the vision for America. I support Barack because of his vision for America - one of hope, equality, and dignity, without mudslinging or "business as usual." I believe his vision represents what we hope America to be, not what it is.

The question is what is Hillary's vision for the future? And do we believe this vision represents what the American people want to see? I'm not completely sure I understand her vision - I believe she brings experience and the wisdom of the workings of the political process. Perhaps it's not that I don't understand her vision, but that I don't believe in it. Perhaps her vision is of a tougher America, more black and white, and less forgiving. But should that be our vision? I'm not so sure.

No comments: